Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thank you, Sarah

http://i.biblio.com/z/875/847/9780689847875.jpg

(biography)

Thank you, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving
by Laurie Halse Anderson and illustrated by Matt Faulkner

Story Pyramid

Sarah Hale
Dedicated, Ambitious
1800's, Civil War, Slavery
No one wanted to celebrate Thanksgiving
  Asked Politicans to nationalize Thanksgiving
Some states made Thanksgiving a holiday
All her letters were denied by Presidents
Lincoln made Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863


I would use this book in the classroom by reading it to my kids around Thanksgiving. Most kids already know about the history of Thanksgiving, but I didn't even know about Sarah Hale until I read this book. So I think this will broaden their knowledge about Thanksgiving and it is an interesting story that supports the holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment